2017/07/18

1995, success and failure

1995 was a real bifurcation moment in music. Unfortunately, the bifurcation was very strong. 

Some really good stuff got accidentally noticed. Some really crappy stuff got noticed and was made prominent due to incompetence of the populace.

The Cranberries and Natalie Merchant got noticed. In specific Natalie Merchant's entire album Tiger Lily got noticed and really made an impact on some people.  I was one of those.  (It didn't suck or I would have evicted it.)

Unfortunately some really crappy crap, like R Kelly, gotten noticed. In this some people with really really low standards ended up setting the bar incredibly low for "music" for decades. If I had noticed it, I would have spoken out at the time and said that it deserved nothing but contempt.  I was only first noticing Metallica's Black Album and being enamored by it, so I was not noticing the new crap that was being created.

According to YouTube, there are a number of other things that originated that year. A number of these things really deserve no comment plus or minus. It seems rightfully so that they have not received much common plus or minus since their origination.

It looks like Smashing Pumpkins -- Bullet with Butterfly Wings was also being created. I didn't know or care about this until at least two years later. But I approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment