2017/02/21

Unrequested "corrections"

Google is great (and I say that without reservation) at pointing out possible typos or alternate spellings for things that I may have gotten wrong.

But, there are SO MANY times that I have spelled something perfectly where some stupid recommendation comes up for something else, like "to" to "too" or whatever.  But, the recommendation lingers there in spite of the correct results being listed, and there is no link or button or something for, "Yes, I typed it right.  Leave it alone."  type of button or link or whatever.

Yes. Sometimes I type things wrong.  Or things are transcribed wrong (that's also on Google if the transcribing agent is not considering context, in most cases) so the results are off.  And I will choose to click/tap/whatever the correction.  But, especially from non-mobile devices, I am not a twit and I will not type like a twit.  When I type, it is generally purposeful.  If I type and whatever algorithm thinks I made an error, recommend the fix, but also include an option for, "No, I didn't make a mistake. Adapt thyself."

Are you sure you didn't mean "too" instead of "to"?  No.  Google should know me better. (or from prolonged sneaky experience with me with and without my knowledge, Google should)  So, give me an option for "Your recommendation is a failure."

I would hope that enough "idiot links" (as I call them), unclicked would cause said links to expire eventually.  But with the quantity of idiots growing daily, I can't count on that.  I would just hope that Google can distinguish between idiots and not (if Google is not capable to the task, then the task is failed permanently) and at least offer "No. I intended what I typed." links/buttons for people that appear to have some wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment